Sunday, July 26, 2009

Build Best Products: The Perfect Marketing Mix?

So it's been more than a year ow that I've switched.
After more than a decade spent with Windows-only desktops and laptops, I gave a Mac a try last year - and never came back.

I'm in the development business. I make a living off my IT skills. So that's fine if my clients are struggling to keep their Windows environment efficient because that's why I'm there.
But for my personal needs, why should I struggle the same?

It's been over a year. And mind you, this has strange collateral effects. Because I could never really set up on a correct Windows machine, I was used to reinstall the OS and all dev software every 6 months. And within a year, I'd buy a new one.
What a shock I had recently, when I realized that I haven't been in the market for a new laptop since I bought my MacBook eighteen months ago!
And if I were, I guess I would be looking for a newer MacBook - mind you, not more efficient. So that's probably why I'm not looking for another one.

From a marketing standpoint, that's terrific. Because it means that the current clients from Apple are faithful on the one hand. On the other, growing means finding new clients because existing ones won't re-equip soon. That my friends is the perfect mix for continued growth. A quick look at the latest stats over Apple latest quarterly results seems to prove the point.

Go buy a Mac, and save money. That's completely contradictory to what the Microsoft ads are trying to demonstrate. The day they understand that the Apple Tax is actually an Apple Saving, they'll start building their own devices.

No comments: